Protecting a Fragile Treasure With the Help of Local Communities

balance sustainability cucumber fishery of galapagos
Sea Cucumber Fishery in Galápagos: A Pursuit of Sustainability
November 25, 2023
INOCAR Strengthens Galapagos Research with a New Oceanographic Buoy to Monitor El Nino
INOCAR Strengthens Galápagos Research with a New Oceanographic Buoy to Monitor El Niño
November 26, 2023
Protecting a Fragile Treasure With the Help of Local Communities

Support of waste management on Isabela Island, transforming recyclable waste into art ©Galápagos Conservancy

Visitors from all over the world are drawn to the Galapagos Archipelago, a natural wonder of unparalleled beauty. The Galapagos National Park protects 97% of the landmass of the archipelago, but the biodiversity is still protected by the Ecuadorian Government. Many of the biodiversity hotspots exist in the remaining 3% of the landmass, where the people live. It is crucial to involve local communities in conservation activities. The livelihood and well-being of these communities depends on nature-based touristic activities. We can create a sustainable future both for the environment and people of Galapagos by involving them in conservation.

Galapagos Conservancy is proud of its efforts to reduce the use of single-use plastics. Few years ago, these plastics were a serious threat to the unique ecosystems of the archipelago, especially the marine environment. Galapagos’ use of single use plastics has decreased significantly since a program was launched to reduce its use.

Galapagos Conservancy is committed to supporting local communities’ involvement in conservation and sustainability on Galapagos. We can preserve the natural beauty of Galapagos by promoting responsible and sustainable practices, and educating the public on the importance to protect the environment.